IDEX IDEX VP, Talent in Northbrook, Illinois
If you’re looking for a special place to build or grow your career, you’ve found it. Whether you’re an experienced professional, a recent college graduate or somewhere in between, IDEX is a place where you can apply your existing skills and learn new ones in an environment where you can make an impact.
With interesting opportunities in engineering, marketing, sales, supply chain, operations, HR, finance, and more across more than 40 diverse businesses (https://www.idexcorp.com/our-businesses/business-segments/) around the globe, chances are, we have something special for you.
IDEX Corporation (NYSE: IEX) is a company that has undoubtedly touched and improved your life in some way. In fact, IDEX businesses make thousands of products that are mission-critical components in everyday activities. If you or a family member is battling cancer or another life-threatening disease, your doctor may have tested your DNA in a quest to find the best targeted medicine for you. It’s likely your DNA test was run on equipment that contains components made by the IDEX Health & Science team. You can enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables thanks in part to Banjo, an IDEX company. Banjo valves are used on the agriculture sprayers that apply fertilizer on crops. And if you were ever in a car accident, the Hurst Jaws of Life® may have rescued you. Founded in 1988 with three small, entrepreneurial manufacturing companies, they are proud to say that they now call just over 40 diverse businesses around the world part of the IDEX family. IDEX is a high-performing, global company committed to making trusted solutions that improve lives.
IDEX is a publicly traded, U.S.-headquartered creator of highly engineered industrial and technology solutions serving high-growth specialized markets. The company manufactures and markets an extensive array of pumps, valves, flow meters and other fluidics systems and components, as well as other engineered products and solutions to customers in a variety of markets around the world. IDEX is well-known for their expertise in highly engineered fluidics systems and components, as well as for their depth in fire and safety products.
With locations across 20 countries, IDEX employs more than 7,500 people and generated annual sales of nearly $2.8 billion USD. All business activities are carried out through wholly owned subsidiaries, with individual businesses run as full, standalone P&Ls. The Company attributes its strong financial performance to its ability to design and engineer specialized quality products and to manufacture and market them in an efficient manner, coupled with its ability to identify and successfully execute and integrate strategic acquisitions.
IDEX operates with three reportable business segments: Fluid & Metering Technologies (“FMT”), Health & Science Technologies (“HST”) and Fire & Safety/Diversified Products (“FSDP”).
IDEX wins because they focus on what matters — internally this is something they call embracing the principles of 8020. They know that great teams and talent are the keys to their success. They also know they win when these talented teams are fanatically focused on solving their customers’ problems. This concept — great teams who embrace 8020 while focused on serving customers — is what they refer to as The IDEX Difference.
They care about the “how” as much as about the “what” as they lead and run their businesses. They are relentlessly committed to fostering a culture of integrity and performance across operations and are firmly rooted in their values of Trust, Team, and Excellence.
At their size and scale, they could choose to go the traditional route, centralize operations, and create a matrixed organization. But they are convinced that their decentralized structure sets them apart and gives them the speed, autonomy, and flexibility to be the market leader in the niche markets they serve.
IDEX has grown both organically and acquisitively. While they have a very diversified portfolio, there are common characteristics across their businesses. Their strategic framework provides an overview of the types of businesses and operating approach that works at IDEX.
IDEX may be a young company, founded just over 30 years ago, but they are grounded in the strong history and heritage of the companies that make up their roots. Regardless of size and scale, they are committed to being a different kind of company – one that leverages great teams, focuses on what matters most, and improves lives of customers, shareholders, employees, and the communities in which they live. They are proud of the products they have built and envision an even stronger future. Please see more about the company on their website www.idexcorp.com.
Reporting the Chief Human Resources Officer, The Vice President of Talent will serve as a member of the IDEX HR Leadership team and be a trusted thought partner on the global human capital strategy. This individual is responsible for developing, organizing, and executing the global enterprise talent strategy and leadership of the talent management and development functions.
The VP of Talent will work closely with our CEO, CHRO, and other senior leaders to lead the succession planning process for key leadership positions across the company and partner closely with General Managers and HR leaders to create strategies that develop, engage, and retain top talent and teams. This includes the design and deployment of the company’s talent management processes – (employee engagement, performance management, and talent reviews) to accelerate the critical business priorities and deliver exceptional results via high performing, diverse, inclusive, and engaged teams. The VP of Talent will also be responsible for building core leadership capabilities (for today and the future) within our General Manager and business unit leadership team populations and the development of key high potential talent to deepen our talent pipeline.
What’s unique and exciting about this role:
• Company with a strong track record of performance and highly engaged workforce
• Entrepreneurial environment with human resources as a critical role – talent as one of the top two enterprise business priorities
• Access to and frequent interaction with Executive Leadership Team (C-Suite)
• Strong voice in shaping enterprise business and talent strategies
• $2.8B diverse portfolio – businesses, markets, products, integrated & stand-alone
• Strong pipeline of acquisition activity
• Global role with more than 7,800 employees
This position is ideally based in Northbrook, Illinois at IDEX Global Headquarters.
▪ Create and execute the enterprise talent strategy that accelerates the business priorities and supports the attraction, development and retention of great teams and talent.
▪ Build an agile talent strategy that can flex as the business grows and in a diversified, decentralized portfolio of global businesses
▪ Develop, implement, and maintain world class talent processes to increase the business’ talent pools, high performing teams and sustain top quartile employee engagement.
▪ Create a competitive advantage by building and developing diverse, AA-level teams, in a highly engaged and inclusive culture
▪ Develop and lead a robust succession planning process to identify and develop high-performing and scalable talent for critical leadership roles
▪ Design and deploy performance management processes and systems that sustain a high performance and a servant leadership culture
▪ Build a learning and development culture via IDEX Academy and meaningful development exposure and experiences on the job
▪ Design and deploy employee engagement programs including survey design, administration, and high impact action planning. Lead culture initiatives that sustain an inclusive and highly engaged workforce
▪ Personally lead and drive the development and retention of key leadership talent
▪ Develop and deploy success profiles, leadership frameworks and assessment tools for the use in selection, assessment, and development of General Managers and other high potential talent
▪ Support the CEO and CHRO in preparation for the BOD succession and talent reviews.
• Motivate, coach, and build high performing talent teams. Foster a culture of trust, team orientation, and excellence through leading by example. Set a very high bar for others to follow.
• Serve as a trusted thought leader, influential advisor and coach for business and HR leaders.
▪ Champion diversity, equity and inclusion and partner closely the DE&I team to bolster our initiatives and advance our culture.
▪ As a member of IDEX’s senior Human Resources’ leadership team, actively contribute to the company’s broader objectives and initiatives.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 15 years of experience in progressive HR and talent leadership roles. The leader will have a track record in delivering high performing business results through world-class talent practices. The ideal candidate will have expertise in designing, implementing, and executing talent strategies aimed at deepening talent pipelines and attracting, retaining, and engaging high potential talent. They will be creative and innovative, yet a pragmatic talent leader. The candidate is a strong assessor of talent and understand what it takes to unlock value and potential in people and teams.
The ideal candidate will have had exposure to diversified and/or decentralized companies and have dealt with the complexities of a broad portfolio of businesses and products. The candidate will have prior experience in global manufacturing environments and will have seen and known great HR processes. They will have a proven track record of designing, delivering, and facilitating leadership development, employee engagement and mentoring programs. Certifications in leadership assessments and coaching is desired. The successful candidate will have experience building world-class talent teams. Ability to establish credibility and trust with the members of the management teams through a collaborative and partnering style is critical.
Candidates must be able to travel domestically and internationally approximately 25% of the time.
▪ Strategic Leadership: The successful candidate will need to be comfortable operating (and optimizing) at the senior leadership level while being able to engage with the strategy and tactics of the various business units. They will have developed and led talent strategies aligned to driving organizational priorities, understanding how value is created for the customers, business, shareholders, and employees. The leader will need to be naturally curious and comfortable navigating ambiguity. As a member of the extended HR senior leadership team, this individual will need to have demonstrated strategic business intellect and the ability to collaborate with other leaders resulting in superior business outcomes.
▪ Results Orientation: This leader must be someone who deals effectively with strategic issues, as well as the detailed tactical activity involved in driving high performance around the most important jobs to be done. They will have a strong bias for action with a savviness to know when to step back and examine the broader context. The leader will be someone who sets stretch goals, creates energy around them with the team, and delivers outstanding
IDEX Corporation | Vice President, Talent Page 6 of 7
results through others. Embracing the 80/20 operating philosophy will be crucial. Candidates will have a history of proven results, even when there are obstacles or adverse circumstance working against the business by taking initiatives to offset these negative trends in the short term. The leader must be willing and able to “roll up the sleeves.” They keep internal and/or external customer(s) in mind at all times.
▪ Talent and Team Leadership: A highly motivated team player that contributes to an atmosphere in which people work together to produce outstanding results. A demonstrated track record of building world-class teams. Someone with a keen eye for talent, who can thoughtfully assess capability gaps and build plans for addressing organizational needs. Leading by example and demonstrating high personal energy and influence in every interaction, they will have the ability to energize and motivate the organization around the purpose, vision and direction; creates followership. They will have been successful working with diverse teams in different environments and cultures and be able to point to specific examples where they have developed future leaders. This candidate will have proven ability to develop talent, coach, and mentor employees and create a culture of employee accountability and engagement. Champions a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace. They are a servant leader.
▪ Collaboration and Influencing: The leaders must be a good listener with outstanding interpersonal qualities and a natural, effective consultative style. Someone who is sought out for their opinions and counsel and who can forge and maintain close relationships, both internally and externally. Gaining the support and involvement of key internal constituencies will be critical to success, as will influencing those important constituencies external to the organization. The successful candidate must therefore have excellent skills at influencing outcomes and shaping and catalyzing dialogue across and outside the organization. Credibility and integrity are critical attributes to effectively command the respect and trust of key individuals. Ability to work collaboratively and as a member of a team while empowering business leaders and emphasizing accountability
▪ Enterprise Leadership: The successful candidate will easily navigate the enterprise and individual business units, striking the right balance of embracing the decentralized, entrepreneurial mindset with pulling in the right resources and stakeholders from across the organization at the appropriate times. Building strong relationships with corporate leadership and peers throughout IDEX will be key. As a senior human resources leader, they will shape enterprise strategies and HR processes, policies and programs leading to outperformance. In the spirit of continuous improvement, seeks to uncover opportunities to maximize impact, create value, and iteratively acts on internal and external customer feedback.
▪ Exceptional communicator and facilitator
IDEX LEADERSHIP ATTRIBUTES
While IDEX leaders are a diverse group of individuals with differing backgrounds, experiences, and personalities, we’ve found there are some attributes that are very common across successful leaders at IDEX. Successful IDEX leaders are authentic, values/purpose driven and dedicated to the pursuit of learning and growing self (and others). They tend to be self-aware, naturally curious and comfortable navigating ambiguity. They also possess a combination of intelligence and ambition balanced with humbleness and a low ego. They believe in the impact of and role model servant leadership. They champion our values of trust, team and excellence. Successful leaders
IDEX Corporation | Vice President, Talent Page 7 of 7
at IDEX hold themselves and others accountable to achieving superior short and long-term results by understanding the critical importance of exceptional talent and creating an inclusive and engaged culture.
IDEX is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
Are you ready to join a different kind of company where our people, our culture, and our commitments are centered around providing trusted solutions that improve lives around the world?
IDEX is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action Employer. IDEX gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other consideration or protected category made unlawful by federal, state or local laws (Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled).
Job Family: Human Resources
Business Unit: Corporate
Job Segment: Corporate